Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"The King's Sister (The Cross and the Crown, #3)" by Sarah Kennedy

This is a review of an ARC provided by the publisher but the review is my own.

This was an interesting read but I have to say right off the bat that since this is the third book in a series I felt as though not having read the previous ones did interfere with my understanding of the characters better. Things that in a single title I would have seen as flaws may be due to this fact so I'm just gonna say that what I really liked about this book was the look at the way the women in the story are experiencing the restricted freedom of being a woman in King Henry VIII's late reign. There is definitely an overwhelming sense of oppression for these characters though they themselves are strong. We catch glimpses of the political intrigue of the times and get behind the scenes closeup looks at Lady Anne of Cleaves as she waits to see if Henry will once again claim her as his wife after Catherine Howard's execution and we come to understand how each little decision carried so much heft and weight on the lives of those who served the royal households and how allegiances could be made or broken in such short time. 

There is much more to this story but I feel that all in all I have to go and start from the beginning to get a better grasp on this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment