Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"The Brontë Plot" by Katherine Reay

I was fortunate to receive this as an ebook from the publisher for a fair review.

I have to admit I started this book with the awful suspicion that I had allowed myself to fall for a chick lit title but as I continued to read I realized I had found a story written with warmth and understanding of the foibles of the human condition. Just like the classics mentioned in the story this is one of those books that you will come to regard fondly as part of your books read list. 

It is about the influence great books have in shaping our lives, and how far is destiny really in control of us and our decisions. Are we predestined to follow in the footsteps of our fathers or can we break away from what seems the only path to take. Is that path the one we walk because there is no other or are we simply afraid to tread on the unknown moors of life. 

This is a love story in more ways than one. Both of a man and woman who find and lose themselves and the lies that can make a bond so much more fragile because of the destructive power in them. But just as importantly this is a love story of the stories behind the great tales we read and hold so close to our heart. After all, Jane Eyre is not a classic just because it is well written but because it is a story that echoes our hearts and reminds us of the possibilities that lie outside of ourselves. 

This is a great introduction to some of English literature's finest tomes and perfect for a book club selection. I definitely recommend reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment