Sunday, May 18, 2014

"The Winter People" by Jennifer McMahon

So when I got to page 31 of this brand new book by McMahon and I read the words Dirty Birdy, I felt a chill race up my spine. When I read further on and read about the " sleepers ", I knew I'd arrived at thrill central. If you've picked up on what I consider to be salutes to Stephen King then you know where this is headed, right? Wrong. This story is finely crafted from the darkest threads of New England's dark past, in this case a place called West Hall, Vermont. Choices made in the past often stain the present in ways one can't imagine or believe and sometimes are so out of the realm of the possibility that they dwell in a place of their own. Betrayal, murder, death, revenge, and love are the background for this chilling story about a little girl named Gertie and her mother's undying love, and of the terrible burden that love can be. READ this book, New England literary tradition of bleak winters, harsh landscapes, and deeply buried fears are strong and alive in this book and their roots run deep into a past that's as primordial as terror itself.

What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment