Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Brooklyn on Fire (Mary Handley Mystery #2) by Lawrence H. Levy



This is the second book in a series based on Mary Handley, lady detective. Based in New York City and Brooklyn before they were consolidated, it surrounds a series of events that are both politically and personally motivated. Now, normally I would go ahead and describe some of the story as I had interpreted it, etc etc etc but quite
frankly I don't want to. The author is quite capable of good writing obviously as this series has gotten good reviews from better readers than I, but I couldn't wait to put this book down forever. There are times when too much activity in a story detracts from the reader's enjoyment of it. After awhile, I felt like I was being force feed a story line that was morphing into a caricature of itself; story line not so subtly showing it's movie script skeleton. Each new addition to our cast just seemed so two dimensional that I couldn't care about them for more than a few pages before I just wanted to ask them to politely jump off the Brooklyn Bridge itself. Although there are some actually interesting facts sprinkled throughout the book, the liberty taken with some of them leaves you feeling like you are on the losing side of a bad joke.

As always, this is my opinion. Reading as many things in this world is a very personal experience. Pick this book up and give it a good perusal if it seems like something that would be interesting to you, I on the other hand will be taking a long walk off a short pier before I pick up another Mary Handley mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment