Monday, August 17, 2015

"Reawakened (Reawakened, #1)" by Colleen Houck

I want to take a minute and remind everyone reading this that this is my opinion and that if the book looks good to you, read it. It looked good to me and being a huge fan of Egyptian mythology and history, I dived into the book. But almost from the start I had little tantrums every couple of pages. The writing is fairly well done and the characters are worthy of reading about it's just that every couple of minutes you feel like telling Lily to shut the bleep up about her poor little rich girl syndrome and quite frankly, why does someone who has been accepted into every college she applied to not connect the dots as to who or what Amon is for several chapters. You spend them frustrated at her incapability to grasp what is actually happening. Quite frankly as I was reading this story all I kept thinking was, it's not finished, not polished like you'd expect a final draft to be. The story is a great idea but I felt like the author didn't do more than color in her outlines. This wound up being a template for any Fantasy/Romance title that you could come up with. Though there are moments in the story where you see the potential shining through there's just too much swill in the way. Now having said that I still felt compelled to read to the finish to see what happens to Lily and Amon, I was entertained along the way, and then dropped off a cliff to land among the rocks at the end. This is one of the most frustrating last chapters I have ever had to read and even though there is enough in this story to make me think of potentially picking up a sequel, it would be only if I could borrow it from my local library and was willing to run the gamut of frustration once again. Reader beware, there lurks more than monsters in these pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment